Mindfulness refers to a state of consciousness, immediacy, and awareness. It allows you to be aware of your physical sensations, your feelings, your thoughts, and your emotions. It helps you actively participate in daily life tasks, instead of just moving through life on “automatic pilot”.
People who are feeling stressed out by work can implement mindfulness and gain control of their everyday work life. To understand more about how mindfulness can improve work life, let’s take a look at a few of its benefits and how to apply it to your workplace:
It Boosts Working Memory
Mindfulness appears to boost your working memory. Therefore, people who have trouble remembering their daily working tasks can greatly benefit from mindfulness. You will be better able to remember the date and time of each project that has to be delivered and will also be able to keep in mind your client’s demands and needs.
It Helps Relieve Stress
People who feel extremely tense and stressed can take advantage of mindfulness. This is because recent studies show that people who practice mindfulness can learn how to deal with stress.
Additionally, mindfulness increases positivity and decreases anxiety. Therefore, by implementing mindfulness in your work life, you will better be able to concentrate on your work, rather than worrying.
More Cognitive Flexibility
Mindfulness can increase your cognitive flexibility and will help you develop skills of self-observation. This can lead to enhanced leadership and also increase your ability to solve complex problems and make difficult decisions at work.
One of the main benefits of mindfulness is increased focus, meaning you will manage your daily tasks more efficiently. Increased focus at work means better productivity and sales, which are beneficial in helping you achieve your career goals.
Other benefits of mindfulness include enhanced morality, intuition, self-insight, fear modulation, stress control, and increased information processing. Mindfulness can also prove to be beneficial for your health, as it seems to improve your immune system function.
How to Apply Mindfulness to Your Workplace
As you can see, applying mindfulness to your workplace has many benefits. Here are a few steps you can follow to implement it in your daily life:
– Try practicing it on your commute to work. Let the red lights or crowds be a reminder to keep calm and control your breathing. This way, you will be able to deal with various situations patiently.
– Practice “strategic acceptance”. Choose to accept any mistakes you make at work, then think of a way to improve the situation. This focuses on finding a solution, not beating yourself up about a mistake. After all, everyone makes them!
– Take three-minute breathing breaks. Deeply focus and pay attention to your breathing for three minutes whenever you feel stressed or overloaded by work. This is the best way to become more mindful at work.
– Pay attention to distractions around you, rather than thinking of ways to avoid them. This way, you can acknowledge them and choose not to let them disturb you.
– Take regular breaks while working, as this can boost your creativity and productivity. Take a lunch break instead of eating in front of your computer, or go for a walk.
Now that you are familiar with the some of the benefits, you can start learning to implement some easy mindfulness activities in your work life to make you feel relaxed and increase your productivity.
Have your say: How do you ensure you always reach your goals?